Legal Topics Directory
Name Change Forms
The court publishes different "Packets" of name change forms which are available on this website. Each "packet" includes a set of Instructions and forms.
To find the forms you need, click on the correct link below depending on whether you want information on how to change an adult's name or a minor's name.
Laws & Rules on Name Change
- MN Statutes § 259.10 General Requirements; Victim/Witness Protection
- MN Statutes § 259.11 Intent to Defraud; Person with Criminal History
- MN Statutes § 259.115 Criminal Penalties
- MN Statutes § 259.12 Name Change Limits for Correctional Inmates
- MN Statutes § 259.13 Requirements for Person with Felony Conviction
- MN Statutes § 518.27 Name Change by Divorce or Legal Separation
You should talk with a lawyer to get advice on how the laws and rules may affect your case.
Information from Outfront Minnesota:
- Changing your name
- Changing your driver's license
- Amending your birth certificate
- Changing your social security record
Infromation from the National Center for Transgender Equality:
Information from Immigration Equality:
As librarians and not lawyers, we can suggest resources but cannot give legal advice (such as which form to file), or legal opinions, (such as how a statute might apply to particular facts). To do so could be considered the unauthorized practice of law. Even though we try to suggest materials that will be of help, further research is usually required to find a complete and correct answer. For many questions, the best answer may be to consult an attorney.
Minnesota Judicial Center
25 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Saint Paul, MN 55155
Main # 651-296-2775